Thursday, November 6, 2008

Poor Little No-Name

Harry danced in the door the other day, his propeller beanie twirling madly and a smirk on his face. He tossed his new masterpiece onto my lap, instructing me to post the photos and heap on some praise for his knitting, creativity, and utterly magnetic personality.

While I am obeying his first order, I shall leave the praise to the readers of this blog. Until he returns the skein of cashmere/alpaca/silk snatched from my hands before I had even finished unwrapping it, I refuse to say anything nice about him, his knitting, or his magnetically repelling personality.

Flipping though his raspberry smoothie-spattered notes, I see that this design is called Copritavolo (tablecloth) and appears on page 14 Lavori Artistici a Calza #5. Harry used #4 needles and the carefully hoarded Vermilion Malabrigo lace yarn that I had forbidden him to touch.

The directions called for doubling the outer leaves in alternate sections, but Harry doubled them in all the repeats--he says it makes the design looks more fluid and, much as I hate to be seen agreeing with him, I think he definitely has a point.

The piece is reminiscent of the swoon-worthy Lyra, but with less mesh and plain stockinette flowers instead of twisted stitches. It's a speedy knit, actually--he finished the 140 row-pattern in a little over two weeks. Of course, he does have eight arms...

Harry must have adored the Malabrigo lace yarn, seeing as how an order form order for 100 skeins of the stuff in various colors is clipped to the front of his notes. Oh wait! Here's a match! Here's a pile of ashes that used to be an order form! Here's a spider web coated with order-form ashes! And here's a Really Annoyed Giant Spider waving eight lethally sharp objects!

I guess I shall post the remaining photos and leave him to sulk, surrounded by Ninja Stars, RPG, and flamethrower.






32 comments:

Anonymous said...

O M F Gosh that thing is amazing!!!

I have nothing else to say :-)

Anonymous said...

Harry is a very clever spider!

Anonymous said...

Every time I turn around you post another piece to drool over.

Laritza said...

Lovely! Again RED! of course. I wish I had 8 legs. I am very close to a big burn out with Princess. Tired of the thing, but I will prevail....I hope

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is just beautiful! So, so pretty!

Lacefreak said...

Stunning lace! Kudos to Harry for being able to figure out the symbols and instructions in that magazine. Of course, his taste in your yarn is perfect :-)

Kathy said...

It is just gorgeous!

Sue said...

Beautiful! Does Harry do his own blocking, or does he leave that to you?

;-)

Monika said...

It's gorgeous, it's stunning! Red is such a daring color!

LittleBerry said...

It's absolutley stunning.. nothing else you cans ay really...

Cheryl S. said...

How gorgeous! Beautiful, beautiful work.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!

I agree about the leaves repeats.

Hope my many spider don't get any ideas, my daughter rummaging my stash is bad enough.

KPiep said...

Harry should meet my Green Woman.

It's just gorgeous!

Dave said...

Wow, great job, Harry!! I also commend you on your excellent taste in yarn, and colour.

(P.S. to Fleegle: Perhaps you could negotiate just a few skeins of Malabarigio in exchange for the return of the cashmere.)

BadCatDesigns said...

Nice knitting Harry...

Opal said...

Harry! Fantabulous job! Stupendous! I'm out of superific adjectives!

fluffbuff said...

Proprio un bel copritavolo. :)
Complimenti!

So, I take it Harry reads Italian, eh?

yarnlot said...

Tell Harry that he is the King of all Lace Spiders but that he should spin his own yarn sometimes instead of coaxing it out of you...

KSee said...

Just beautiful!

Hege said...

Wow, that is perfection! I bow before the knitting genius that is Harry!

Anonymous said...

Don't tell Fleegle, Harry, (she might get upset) but I think you're nearly as good as she! Just off now to figure out how to grow more arm/leg thingies..

Melissa Perreault said...

I knew you were good but that's insane!!! Stunning!!

When I grow-up, I wanna be you!!!

Carol said...

Molto bello copritavola! Bravo!

Debi said...

Wow Harry!! You are one amazing, eight legged dude!

Anonymous said...

i think i might buy that spider some more malabrigo........

Rosemary said...

Perfectly gorgeous. I love that red. Thanks for posting.

Cinders said...

Absolutely stunning!perhaps if I had 8 legs i could knit lace that well!!!

missalicefaye said...

beautiful!

Susan (and SmokeyBlue in spirit) said...

Needs an award. Spectacular!!!

Angelika said...

Wow, I bet this pattern kept you on your toes. I hate it when stuff gets too boring.

Anonymous said...

it's really quite beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Meg said...

your lacework is amazing!