Sunday, July 1, 2007

Silly Season

Front

Back

Yes, you are staring at a baby bunting that will eventually be a ear of corn. I am halfway up the husk. When I am finished, it's supposed to look like this:


The original pattern is here, but of course I modified it to eliminate the bazillion seams that the sadistic designer incorporated into the construction. With my version, only two tiny shoulder seams will need to be sewn. (I always sew shoulder seams, rather than graft them. A sewn seam is stronger and the shoulder area has to support the rest of the knitted item.)

I used the Turkish sock cast-on to begin, knit the stalk circularly, and divided the front in such a way that the corn portion can be knit up from the stitches you see on a holder. I will attach the sides of the corn panels to the husk as if I were picking up stitches for a lace border.

This project is a bit wacky, but a nice change of pace from the serious lace knitting that's being done around here.

The crab holding the husk, by the way, is Cheeto. He escaped from a seafood restarant last week--leaping off the serving plate, scuttling around hundreds of enormous feet, and desperately flinging himself out a window onto a busy street.

Fortunately, he landed on the roof of a car belonging to a Japanese embroidery student on her way to Kurenai Kai.

Cheeto decided to rest a bit before continuing on to Katakai Beach, a rather cold and inhospitable stretch of sand inhabited by hundreds of crazed surfers (but the only beach in town).

Harry found him huddled miserably in a mud puddle next to the dorm. After a fair amount of technical discussion involving Kitchener stitch, intarsia in-the-round, and Claw vs. Web for grocery shopping, Harry invited Cheeto to stay in his light fixture until better accommodations could be located.

Harry broached the possiblity of bringing Cheeto on as an apprentice. It was nice of him to ask what I thought, which was something along the lines of "I never heard of a crab who/that knits."

My comment elicited a lecture about tolerance, open-mindedness, ability to accept change, appropriate pronouns, yadda, yadda.

In any case, Cheeto's first assignment will be helping out with Harry's Shawl, which is up to row 15. Harry keeps changing the pattern, but I hope to be able to post a picture some time this week.

15 comments:

Iris G said...

This is so crazy but I absolutely love it! And Cheeto the apprentice will appear often from now on? I think he's cute.

Marie said...

Hee! Love the silliness. :) Cheeto is adorable. Glad he found a new home and apprenticeship!

Angeluna said...

That is one whacky piece of knitting. And I love it. I think they featured it once on "What not to Knit". What do they know?

Just found some photos from Japanese stitch dictionaries. Oh my, I want, I want. Everything was in Japanese and all I had was the ISBN. Must find the link and send it to you because you probably know all the secrets for acquiring them.

I'm so glad Cheeto has found a good home...and a buddy.

Angeluna said...

Pattern No.067 from a pattern book (_Knitting Patterns Book 300_ ISBN 4-529-04172-7)
That is the information from a gorgeous pair of socks someone knit, actually Garyou on Flickr.

Any idea where to find them?

Batty said...

OK, this is both crazy and way cool. Just the right combination!

missalicefaye said...

heh heh. cute. :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't Cheeos's something you eat.

Lori said...

I love the corn-husk baby! There is such a short window of opportunity during which we can dress our children in such silliness, one should totally take advantage of it (and document it for future blackmailing...)
So glad Cheeto was able to find a good home - knitting crabs should not be cooked!

Octopus Knits said...

Oh, my gosh! That is hilarious! (so is your Cheeto story, ha!) Hilariously awesome!

Opal said...

The corn husk bunting is so cute! And a big welcome to Cheeto. He's also a cutie. Silliness should be an essential part of our diets.

Lacefreak said...

Your pattern is truly twisted! I love it! When you go off of the lace reservation you don't fool around. As for Cheeto, I will wait to see what kind of lace he/she/it produces. Wax on, Was off as it were!

Carol said...

The corn husk thing is hilarious! I would soooo knit this if I had a baby coming into my vicinity! And the apprentice looks very helpful.

miyamojo said...

I think Cheeto will fit right in. After all, he's motivated - he gets room and board! :)
Can't wait to see who gets to model the corn! m:)

Angeluna said...

For your amusement, found that "What not to Knit" posting...
http://whatnottoknit.wordpress.com/

Just scroll down. Personally, I agree with Loribird who says we have such a small window to dress the little ones in total whackiness, why not use it.

Lucy said...

Wow that is supercute, Fleegle - I think Cheeto is gorgeous - Happy Knitting!