Sunday, March 11, 2007

Heere Be Dragones Journal--Complete!





It's the size of New Jersey! Well, maybe the size of a small town in New Jersey. OK, would you believe the size of a modest pea patch in New Jersey? Actually, I have seen rice paddies smaller than this sucker--it's 7.5 feet wide and 5 feet long. No wonder knitting the edging was interminable. I'd knit for what seemed like hours, but the edging didn't seem to creep any further along the side.

Speaking of the edging, it looks nice and scaly and I much prefer it to the original border, no offense to Sharon, the designer of this masterpiece.



I intend to glitz it up a bit with some glittery red yarn and maybe a few other adornments. You can see the beady eyeball already in place, although I haven't figured out how to stabilize it yet.



It was a pleasure to knit, but I am happy it's done, so I can turn my attention back to the Black Widow Spider King. And there are several other neglected tidbits waiting for me to finish, like the Brain-Melting-Completely-Plain-Blue-Socks for my father. Every time I pick one of them up to work on, I fall instantly asleep. I did manage to stay awake long enough to turn the heels this morning, but only because I was drinking large quantities of coffee at the time.

I am also half-finished with the design for Harry's Shawl, which may be a feaure in a new Harry story that we are tinkering with.

Anyway, enjoy Dragone!

17 comments:

Agneta said...

Beautiful. This gives me inspiration

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous piece finished--but sakes alive, a seven-and-a-half-foot wingspan will SWALLOW you, Fleegle!

Janice in GA said...

Nicely done. I'd leave the eye off, though. But I'm moderately staid.

Lori said...

I love it! Your border is an improvement I believe, particularly on such a large shawl The eye is a humorous touch - gotta have someone watching your back at all times, eh?

Larjmarj said...

Wow! Fantastic work, congrats on completing such a daunting project! Love the eye, very LOTR.

z's momma said...

Fabulous job! I've been eyeing this pattern and I really like your border.

Lacefreak said...

Fabulous! Just fabulous! I love the the edging you picked and the eyeball is inspired. A 7 foot wingspan. Trust you to make a gigantic dragone! Thank you again for helping with those charts for Dragone. I have to make it for my neice who is in love with dragons in general. Your finished shawl is a great inspiration.

aija said...

Amazing! Congratulations.

Jeannie said...

I saw your post over at Knitty. Your Dragones shawl is beautiful! Wow! I love the edging that you designed for it too.

Dave said...

What a fantastic -- and, um, big -- dragone! I really like the border. But I also really like the original one too. I'll have to cogitate for a while.

Batty said...

Lovely! That eye adds a certain something, absolutely love it, a must knit!

Carol said...

Wow! It's beautiful! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Ah, beautiful! I really really like the edging you came up with. :) Are you still as enamoured with the yarn as you were in the beginning? It sounds lovely...

SheepsPyjamas said...

I haven't started mine yet, so the nudge is appreciated on two fronts. Nice work!

Big Alice said...

It turned out gorgeous! I do like your edging much better than the original, which always looked a bit awkward to me.

Anonymous said...

Your Dragone shawl is gorgeous! I am also working on the pattern, and my friends and I cannot figure out how to work the Horizontal stitch. We are finding the explanation a bit confusing. Any hints about this stitch? Thanks, Chealisse

Cait said...

Now my sister wants one. Size is not an issue, she's tall... and it'll help with the discrete nursing project :)