Thursday, January 25, 2007

Heere Be Dragones Journal--Row 211


This morning, I knitted the first row of his chin. There is definite progress, as evidenced by the fact that the entire piece won't fit into the picture frame anymore without zooming way out. And two people are needed to hold it up for a photo. Alas, only one of us was available this morning, so you can only see a cropped view of dragone's middle. Nice tummy! I loved that part!

If you are contemplating knitting this piece, think a little thicker, than thinner yarn. Half the beauty of the design are the textural stitches. In fine yarn, these disappear. I saw one the other day knitted in white yarn. It was exquisitely done in very fine wool, but it it didn't show the lacy or relief textures that a thicker yarn would show offf to better effect.

And, I know this sounds a bit nuts, but really, it gets way easier! Somewhere in the middle of the wings you will zone into auto-pilot. Clear sailing from there.

I am now swatching for an alternative border. I didn't care for the original version, so I am looking at dragon-scaly patterns. Suggestions are welcome!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh--it looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

how about an edging that looks like dragon scales? some leaf or petal patterns look like scales.you suggest thicker yarn. do you mean thicker than zypher?

fleegle said...

I am swatching edgings that look like dragon scales, of course! Zephyr would probably work fine. I am using a heavy laceweight. It's a bit heavier than Zephyr. I want to embellish dragone with beads and embroidery thread, so I wanted something more substantial than zephyr.

Lacefreak said...

Dear fleegle,

Your dragon is growing in leaps and bounds. Thank you for the advice on the yarn. I've seen a few of these shawls that were done in thinner yarn and you are right. the dragone is not as substantial. Dragone is on my list but first I have to finish a few more things :-)

Big Alice said...

There's a "scales" pattern in Barbara Walker #2 that immediately sprang to mind, but you probably already know about it. The shawl looks gorgeous!

LICraftgal said...

Your work is incredible and the color is stunning!!! That is truely beautiful.

Unknown said...

What do you mean by heavier? I'm considering taking this on as my major 'summer' project, and I was looking at some 8/2 tencel or 10/2 bamboo for the yarn. (If I get it finished, it's to be a gift for someone who prefers to avoid animal fibers.)

(I'm quiet1 on Ravelry if you prefer to respond there. :) )