Sunday, January 14, 2007

Heere Be Dragones Journal--Row 171



Here I am on Chart 3, row 171. You can start to see the bottom of the wings emerging. Dragone will start flying pretty soon!

Chart 2 went swimmingly until I hit row 155, at which point, a turtle with knitting needles could have purled rings around me. This row contains all sorts of goodies--twisted stitches, belly stitches, wing stitches, and horizontal stitches, all mixed into a wicked brew that defied the conventional use of markers.

For the floating twisted stitches, I devised a cute little method with some removable markers that I had never bothered with before. The markers go through the stitches, not between them. They act as micro-cable needles, because I could use them as handles to pull the floaters off the needles and reposition the stiches that need to run behind. These markers also cued me on the purl side, as the floaters get slipped. And finally, by using green for right twist and orange for left twist, I could see at a glance which way the floatings twists needed to go. I have no idea who makes these markers--I can't seem to find them anywhere. If you know where I can get some more, let me know!




7 comments:

sjanova said...

fleegle: I thought I'd seen those st markers. I looked again at joann.com and they're there. Click on knitting and then on needles, and then on more notions. http://www.joann.com/
catalog.jhtml?CATID=82328&PRODID=111825
(put the url back together -- didn't want to extend the block too wide) called Colonial Stitch Markers.

Since ACMoore didn't yet get in the Clover split st markers, I might have to get some of these from Joann. Sale price is $2.79 (usually $3.99) for 9 large and 12 small in the package of mixed colors. Maybe they'll have them in the store?

Besides, that shawl is developing beautifully and we need to keep it going!

Lacefreak said...

Great idea, using those stitch markers as mini holders. I've never seen those before. I have the more traditional Clover spirals or the ones that look like mini safety pins. I'm going to be doing the Dragone shawl once I finish one of the other shawls I'm working on. So many projects, so little time! Your Dragone is looking really terrific!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that lace shawl looks awsome! I'm too scared to attempt lace, maybe one of these days.

Anonymous said...

The shawl is amazing!!

AnneV said...

If you want, I can send you some markers from Europe ;-) They come in two sizes and three colours. Just send me an e-mail with your name and address and I'll send them (well, it might take a few days since I can't check my inbox daily whilst on sick leave).

And about the Dragone thingy: I'm completely stuck with the edging. Am not happy with the way it was presented in the original pattern so I'm trying to figure out an alternative. Funny, I finished the shawl body in 9 days, and in the following 9 days there has been no progress whatsoever. I have to finish it in January, though...

Batty said...

I can already see the dragon! This shawl is one of the things I'm currently drooling over. Yours is turning out absolutely gorgeous!

Larjmarj said...

THAT is just gorgeous! Fantastic color. Can't wait to see it finished and in flight!