Monday, February 8, 2010

Current Knitting and Spinning

I tried. Honestly,  I tried. For a week now, I've been skittering around the floor holding a sign that read: Attention fleegle! It't time for a blog post! Unfortunately, fleegle merely smiled absently in acknowledgement, and then wandered away to do who knows what. Well, this morning, I really lost my cool. Well, a little bit of my cool, because I am too cool to lose all my cool, as you all well know.

Enlisting the aid of a few friends, we attached fleegle's laptop to a crane, levered it over the bed where she slothfully lay sleeping, and mostly carefully lowered it onto her person. I regret to say that, after the cable slippage, fleegle did wake up and pay attention, but the Raid attack was not exactly the result we were looking for.



So, I, Harry, will write the blog post instead.

First, I have here fleegle's Owl sweater. Very soft and warm. And actually pretty well knitted for a human. I have her knitting notebook right here, so let me flip through the pages and see what she made this thing out of.

......riffle riffle, fwip fwip....

Hmm.
Ah, here we go.

Onions
Tomatoes
Raid
Kleenex
Pork chops
..................

Whoops. Grocery list.

Ah, found it!

Size 5/7 needles, white Yubina Bulky cashmere knitted with one strand of Colinette Paresienne in the Marble colorway. Simple bottom-up seamless yoke sweater pattern made with Knitware. Owl cables from an old Mary Thomas book. Pearl beads from somewhere. Time: 6 days.



Piled on top of the owl sweater were several skeins of handspun. Rather nice handspun. In fact, the yellow merino yarn makes an excellent mattress for yours truly. Not much in terms of notes, I'm afraid. The orange is merino/silk from Corgi Hill, the yellow merino is from Funky Fiber, and the lovely black merino/angelina sparkly stuff is from Bohemia Fibers. All these were spindle-spun, but there is no indication which spindles she used. Sloppy record keeping.




 

And lastly, I dragged fleegle's Queen Susan out of the tacky plastic bag and spread it out the best I could. So far, it looks like she's half done with the center and, to my surprise, there is not a single coffee stain on the entire thing.



Had I been knitting it, I am sure it would have looked better, but this, after all, is about fleegle's knitting, so I am trying to be nice. It is not easy after spending two hours in the shower to remove lingering Raid fumes.

19 comments:

Kitty Kitty said...

Ahhh Harry.... you poor thing covered in raid again. I wonder if you will ever learn.

Tell Fleegle we love the current projects if she is still talking to you.

JelliDonut said...

Queen Susan--love the name AND the pattern. Six days for a sweater? If I ignored personal hygiene, maybe...

Experimental Knitter said...

Poor Harry, hope you are OK.
Awesome knitting!

Heidi said...

harry you are the best! what a good thing that you decided to take things into your own paws:)

the sweater is beautiful! these little owls sitting on a row are so cute:)

and the shawl is coming along in an amazing speed! it looks as it is going to be spectacular!

Unknown said...

Very kind of you Harry, to post this and let us know how things are going, particularly given the raid incident. Guilty feelings perhaps? Was she sleeping in because of your bagpipes or karaoke? While she's still sleeping, think you could filch one of those beautiful handspuns for me? I'll trade you for an extra large bag of tasty mosquitoes.

KPiep said...

Well Harry, thank you very much for sharing Fleegle's spinning and knitting with us.

And just for the record...the handspun is fantastic!

Deborah said...

I love your owls and your Queen Susan. I can't wait to get to the spinning and then knitting of mine! I'm in the fleece combing phase at present. You are certainly an inspiration!

yarnlot said...

How lucky that Harry is not into karaoke anymore and back into knitting, even supervising Fleegle's knitting. He must be pretty resistant to Raid now!
Lovely to see the progress on the Queen Susan...

Unknown said...

You knit a sweater in six days? I would love to see that. Think you can do a webcam of you knitting another six-day sweater? I confess I would watch it for hours and take notes!

Carol said...

What cute owls! And the lace is stunning. as usual.........

Anna M said...

I really like the owls, I've never even though of cables being cute!

LittleBerry said...

love the owl sweater....

The handspun is gorgeous as always aand Ilove your Queen Susan shawl...

Hope you've recovered from the Raid fumes Harry..

gayle said...

Harry, Harry, Harry - you forgot to start the coffee IV drip before hoisting in the laptop, didn't you?

Laritza said...

Harry:
What a great job in deciphering the code! I love the owls, although being truthful, the eyes kind of creep me out. The QSS is a piece of beauty, knit by a human or not.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Wonderful job with the blog post, Harry. Tell Fleelge her knitting and spinning is lovely.

Peg said...

I saw your old comment about the great cashmere yarn at Yubina. I'm a weaver, and my daughter would like me to make her a cashmere scarf. Yubina yarns certainly are far less expensive than any others I can find, but I'm a bit concerned. Their website doesn't have any contact info. Are they in China?? I live in New York State - is it really safe to order from them?

Thanks!

P.S. You can see some of my latest projects here: http://www.secondwindjewelry.com/jewelry-weaving-blog.

Batty said...

Harry, you have excellent taste in comfy sleeping spots!

Now stay away from the raid. Really. It's better that way.

Soo said...

The Queen Susan in looking great. I haven't had a chance to cast on yet but needles and yarn are on standby

Lacefreak said...

The owls are very cute indeed. I'm surprise you have time to knit with all that spinning though. Your Queen Susan is beautiful and so far along! Alas, much further than mine. I think Harry is building resistance to Raid.