Sunday, December 23, 2007

Current Knitting

Most of my favorite bloggers have been generating an alarming quantity of knitted goods this week. I am almost embarrassed to show you what I've been doing, but figured the overproducers can snicker as they soak their aching hands in warm grits. Or whatever passes for warm grits wherever you live.

I started another pair of formal socks for Roy, but as I was finished the toe increases, he decided what he really needed was a pair of mittens. No problem--a few more increases, no heel, and a thumb--and the foot covers morphed in hand covers. Or, in the case of Larry here, arm covers.


I have been quite diligent about the Patons shawl. The yarn is fabulous, the colors fabulous, and the pattern is pretty fabulous too.


I am also working on a strange little project that has been loosely named the International Shawl by the four participating collaborators. The concept is that each section of the shawl (center, inner border, outer border, and edging) is supposed to derive from a different country.

The chosen center is the one on page 64 of Naoko Ichida's Knitted Lace Designs Book 2--a compilation of Niebling treasures. I am at row 60 or so, but because everything is squished onto a circular needle, it photographed poorly. When I have more to show you, I'll try to work it off onto a larger needle and take an eye-candy photo. I can't figure out if the center design counts as Japanese or German...

All of us here at chez fleegle intend to have a lovely holiday and hope that all of you do too! I am sure I will have some goodies to flaunt in the next post (there are some suspiciously squashy packages in the pile...Cool!

18 comments:

yarnlot said...

The Patons shawl looks pretty fabulous indeed...and it is quality, not quantity that counts.
Sometimes I call lace knitting "slow knitting" like "slow food", where you are savouring instead of hurrying...
Have a lovely Christmas time!

Dave said...

Nice socks ... err, mitts ... err, formal socks ... err ... mitts!!

The shawl is looking lovely, and I'm looking forward to seeing the international collaboration.

Happy holidays!

Janice in GA said...

Happy holidays!

Opal said...

Glorious lace! How I miss it. Ah well... I'll be able to get back to it soonish. In the meantime, I get to drool all over yours. *slurp*

Opal said...

oops! Happy Holidays dear Fleegle!

Kay said...

Ahhhh! Leaf motifs in lace, one of my many weakness! Merry Christmas Fleegle and here's to a Happy New Year Day of starting my Lyra Niebling.

Lori said...

Heehee, good for you turning socks into mittens! I'm not sure I would have thought of that...
The Patons shawl looks great, and the international one is an intriguing idea.
Have a happy holiday chez Fleegle, and may many of your presents have good yardage :)

2trees said...

Dh is getting half a sock for Xmas. Good thing he's quite patient about them.
Happy Holidays!

Courtney said...

I love the mittens and the Shawl is beautiful!!

fluffbuff said...

I don't know who you are comparing your WIPs and FOs to, but it sure looks like you are getting a lot of knitting done to me.

Happy holidays and happy knitting!

LittleBerry said...

shawl is looking great.... and I look forward to seeing the international shawl develop....

Lacefreak said...

I think you have been knitting PLENTY compaired to me. All I've got done is the Legends shawl (last night) so it's time to block :-) I think the center counts as both Japanse and German. I won't be able to start working on mine once I make a little more headway with the Sampler Stole edging. Happy Holidays to you, Roy and, of course, Harry !

KSee said...

Shawl is very pretty. Happy Holiday

BadCatDesigns said...

Nice! Looking forward to seeing your "international" design and also those squishy gifts awaiting...a very merry Christmas to you.

Kitty Kitty said...

Happy Holiday's to you and your family. Hope that the next year will be a good one for you and your FO's. Thank you for being a wonderful new knitbuddy.

Anonymous said...

I choked on my drink over the "soaking hands in warm grits". I am Southern born and bred, but I draw the line at grits lol Maybe now I'll have a use for the nasty things :)

Batty said...

I've been knitting less than you have. And yoru work is fabulous, as always. It's not the quantity, you know, it's all about quality. And that's top notch.

z's momma said...

I might just have to cast on for that shawl--your's is just gorgeous!